NEW VERSION OF WEBSITE AVAILABLE! Visit This version will soon be discontinued.   See more about the change
UCI Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct

Frequently Asked Questions

Section 1



How do I report a violation of policy?
You can report violations to a variety of campus offices such as:

Why did I receive a Notification Letter from the Office of Academic Integrity and Student Conduct?
The letter you received means that the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct received a report regarding a possible violation of the Academic Integrity Policy or the Code of Conduct. A Student Conduct Officer or Academic Integrity Administrator is giving you an opportunity to discuss this incident and allegations of the policy violation with them.

What happens after I receive a Notification Letter indicating that I have allegedly violated policy?
Please visit here for more information about the Student Conduct Process or here for more information about the Academic Integrity Process. 

I received a notification/meeting request letter from the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct; why do I have an Administrative Hold on my record?
If you have allegedly violated the Code of Conduct, the Notification Meeting requires you to schedule an appointment with a Student Conduct Officer. If an appointment is not scheduled by the designated date, an Administrative Hold is placed on your record by the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct. The Administrative Hold blocks further registration, graduation, or issuance of a diploma until the disciplinary matter has been resolved. Once the matter is resolved, the hold will be removed. You have twelve (12) business days from the date of the letter to schedule and attend an Administrative Meeting with the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct. If you waive the right to participate in an Administrative Meeting, you must contact the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct within twelve business (12) business days from the date the letter was sent, and inform us that you waive your right to be present at the Administrative Meeting.

What if I need accommodations for a disability-related need?
If you have disability-related needs and wish to request reasonable accommodations, please let our office know and we will connect you to the Disability Services Center (DSC), or contact DSC at Voice: (949) 824-7494 or TTY: (949) 824-6272 or in-person at 100 Disability Services Center, Building 313, Irvine, CA 92697-5250.

What happens during the Administrative Meeting? 
The Administrative Meeting is an opportunity to give you (the student) an opportunity to respond to the allegations, and if found responsible, to be advised of the possibility of sanctions. At the Administrative Meeting, the appointed Student Conduct Officer or Academic Integrity Administrator will:

  1. Inform you of the specific allegations made against you;
  2. Indicate the applicable University policy(ies) or campus regulations alleged to have been violated;
  3. Share information regarding the related incident;
  4. Make a reasonable effort, as permissible under federal and state law, to comply with your requests for access of documents relevant to the case and;
  5. Give you the opportunity to respond to the charges and evidence you.

At the conclusion of the Administrative Meeting(s), the appointed Officer may conclude that no violation has occurred and therefore, that no further action is warranted. If, however, the appointed Officer determines that a policy violation has occurred based on the preponderance of the evidence, sanctions will be imposed.

What if I am not familiar with the policy that I am accused of violating?
Ignorance of the policy(ies) does not excuse violation of said policy. Every student is responsible for knowing the rules and regulations of the University, found in the University of California Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations, and Students and the Academic Senate Policy on Academic Integrity.

Do I have to attend my administrative meeting?
No, but it is in your best interest to attend. If you choose not to attend, your case will be adjudicated without your input. If you are found responsible, sanctions will be imposed.

Do I need to hire an attorney?
Students are allowed to have an advisor present at their meeting. Possible advisors include parents, friends, attorney, etc. You are not required to have an attorney present at your meeting or hearing; in fact, most students do not. If you decide that you would like to have an advisor present, the advisors may act as a consultant for the student, and may not speak on behalf of the student. If a student chooses to have an attorney as an advisor, the student shall pay all fees, costs, and expenses for the retention of an attorney. Under the discretion of the Student Conduct Officer or Academic Integrity Administrator, other parties, including advisors, if any, may be excluded from participating in the meeting, especially if being disruptive in the meeting. For more information, see our Support Person/Advisor Guidelines.

I have already been arrested and have a court date, isn’t this double jeopardy?
No, double jeopardy applies only to criminal proceedings. You (the accused student) are not being charged with violating a law or committing a crime; rather, you are being accused of violating a student conduct code or academic integrity policy. Our process is an administrative, education-based process that is independent of the criminal justice system; therefore, double jeopardy does not apply because the domains are separate, and the intentions different.

My charges were dropped by the District Attorney; will they also be dropped by UCI?
No. As previously mentioned, this process is separate from the criminal court processes. The University utilizes the Code of Student Conduct and the Academic Integrity Policy, and your case will be processed regardless of what happens with your criminal proceedings.

How does the adjudicating Student Conduct Officer or Academic Integrity Administrator decide if I violated the Code of Student Conduct or the Academic Integrity Policy?
The “Preponderance of Evidence” is the standard used to determine if a student is responsible for the allegations of policy violations. A student or student organization is not responsible for violating the Code of Student Conduct or the Academic Integrity Policy unless evidence suggests that it is was more than 50% likely that a policy was violated. Another way of stating it is: "Is it more likely than not that a policy was violated?"

Am I going to be dismissed from the University?
Not necessarily. Sanctions depend on various things, such as the severity of the offense, whether the student takes responsibility for their actions, prior sanctions received by the student, level of intent etc. Suspension and/or dismissal is not used often.

What is the range of sanctions a student can be given?
Sanctions are imposed only if a student has been found responsible for a violation. The primary goals of sanctions are to protect the safety and integrity of the University community, to educate students about the concerns related to the inappropriateness of their conduct, and to provide opportunities for students to learn new behaviors. Sanctions are designed to reflect the actions of the individual student and the impact of the violation(s) on the community. Possible sanctions for student conduct cases include: written warning, disciplinary probation, restitution, restriction from areas of campus, attending classes or workshops, educational projects, community service, relocation or removal from housing in accordance with the housing contract, removal from specific courses or activities, no contact provisions, suspension or dismissal. Possible sanctions for academic integrity cases include: written warning, educational projects, disciplinary probation, suspension, dismissal, or (in very rare cases) revocation of degree.

How will this appear on my transcript?
The only sanctions that appear on transcripts are Suspensions and Dismissal. Disciplinary probation, educational sanctions and other outcomes do not appear. Although these sanctions do not appear on your transcript, they will be noted in your educational record. Anyone for whom you give the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct permission to disclose information regarding your academic records may be notified that you have a conduct or academic integrity record.

Will a policy violation affect my financial aid or scholarship?

Possibly. Instances of misappropriation of financial aid or drug/controlled substance violations may affect your eligibility for federal student loans, grants, and scholarships. Most policy violations will not affect scholarships, but a student should review the conditions of their continued scholarship award eligibility.  For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

I have already met with a Officer/Administrator from the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct. Why do I have an Administrative Hold on my record?
Holds may be placed on students' records at any point during the disciplinary process to assure compliance with sanctions, pending the resolution of disciplinary matters or a formal hearing. When the terms and conditions of sanctions have been satisfied and/or pending disciplinary matters have been resolved, holds may be removed.

What if I don’t agree with my sanctions? Can I appeal?
Yes. For Student Conduct cases, information about appeals can be found here.
For Academic Integrity cases, information about appeals can be found here.

Are you going to tell my parents about this?
In accordance with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the University cannot contact or share information about your academic integrity and student conduct record without your written permission.

Who has access to my records?
The Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct maintains the confidentiality of student records in accordance with FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). In cases involving acts of violence, the complainant may be notified of the outcome of the proceedings, when appropriate. Otherwise, no information will be released without the written consent of the student who is alleged to have violated policy, or by court order or subpoena.

Can I get a copy of my conduct record?
Copies of conduct records are not provided. However, upon request and by appointment, you will be allowed access to your conduct record. You will be allowed to review your record in the presence of an Academic Integrity & Student Conduct staff member who is not designated to your case. Prior to the review of the file by a student, conduct records must be reviewed so that personally identifiable information pertaining to other students, witnesses and/or victims can be redacted.

How long are conduct records kept?
Academic Integrity:
Academic Integrity records are confidential and, in most cases, are maintained for seven (7) years from the date that the incident was reported, unless the Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct determines in any particular case that there is a good reason to extend the period of retention. Minor (refers to anything below a suspension) and non-recurring infractions will be expunged upon reward of degree. Cases resulting in an outcome of dismissal or revocation of degree are maintained for fifty (50) years. 

Student Conduct:
Student Conduct records are confidential and, in most cases, are maintained for five (5) years from the date that the incident was reported. At the end of five years, records concerning most cases are purged. Cases resulting in an outcome of dismissal or revocation of degree are maintained for fifty (50) years. 

Will a sanction from UCI affect my ability to go to graduate or professional school? 
Your disciplinary record may or may not affect your ability to attend graduate and/or professional school. Sanctions of suspension or dismissal will be noted on your academic transcript (suspensions will be noted only for the term of your suspension). Student Conduct disciplinary records are kept for a minimum of five (5) years. Academic Integrity disciplinary records are kept for a minimum of seven (7) years except in cases of minor and non-recurring academic integrity infractions, which are expunged upon reward of degree. Any schools or companies to which you give permission to inquire about your academic records will be notified that you have a conduct record. Many graduate schools request your academic records, as do many government agencies if they are considering hiring someone (FBI, etc.).

If I was found not responsible, and my graduate/professional school and job applications ask if I have ever been subject to disciplinary action, what should I say? 
Honesty is the best policy. You should be open and honest about any discipline issues you have faced. As part of the application process, you should be given the opportunity to explain your behavior and indicate what you learned from the experience. Failing to disclose this information can be worse than if you did not initially report the incident, especially if you don’t disclose it, and it were to come up as part of the background check.


Review of these common questions does not substitute for reading and understanding the Student Conduct Code or the Academic Integrity Policy. This list is meant to answer questions students, Registered Campus Organization, advisors, and parents often have about the student conduct and academic integrity processes at UC Irvine. Please refer to the Code of Conduct or the Academic Integrity Policy for more details.